Standard Herman Bread recipe

After trying out some Herman Bread recipes, I wanted to come up with a standard recipe that I could easily remember and just vary the ingredients accordingly.

So I worked out the approximate weight ratio

Herman : Flour = 1: 2
Flour : water = 3:2

So it works out to the below quantities

75g Herman starter
150g bread flour
Pinch of salt
100ml water (can be switched to milk or milk + egg)

And I tried out the above recipe using the overnight proofing and cold oven methods.

1. Mix all the ingredients, adding the water gradually until a dough comes together. Knead for 15 minutes.

2. Shape the dough and place in a lined baking tin.


3. After proofing for 3-4 hours, the dough has puffed up a bit.


4. The next morning, the dough has grown out of the tin! That would be total of 14 hours proofing.


5. It's time to bake it. So I left the dough in the oven and preheated until 180 degrees C. Baked for 20-25 minutes until cooked or it gave a hollow sound when tapped.


Now for the moment of truth, I sliced the bread after it cooled completely.


Success! The bread is bouncy and soft and moist. Looking forward to try out the variations with my standard recipe. Stay tuned!




Comments

Popular Posts