Kuala Lumpur May 2017: Tommy Le Baker

 It's the time of the year (school holidays) and my family planned a trip to Kuala Lumpur and Malacca. I came to know about this cafe while watching Axian's food show (Taste with Jason). The owner of the cafe Tommy Lee  shares his knowledge on fermentation through classes and his blog.

After watching the show, I knew I had to pay this cafe a visit.


The first thing that struck me was the decor of the cafe. It's a little quaint, much like what we would see in some cafes in Europe. Other than bread, there are also other products such as olive oil, balsamic vinegar and jam spreads.




As I was still feeling quite full from breakfast (I know, too much good food in KL) I just ordered some 'snacks' to try. There are also other offerings like quiches, filled baguettes and sourdough sandwiches. The apricot and pistachio sourdough loaf is flavourful, with a chewy bite. Interestingly, the apricot taste was not too overpowering, which can sometimes happen in fruit loafs. The lemon curd in the lemon tart had just the right amount of tang. It was refreshing without being very sweet and great after my big breakfast.

And the financiers! These were the highlight of my visit. Financiers are small French cakes, made with beurre noisette (browned butter) and ground almonds. I had the impression that financiers were cake-like, much like butter cake-sticks. However, these were not. They were chewy and fragrant, a contrast to the spongy cake texture I was expected. The beurre noisette lent a mild and baked flavour to the financiers, as opposed to a rich, creamy taste of a normal butter cake. I liked them so much that I ordered a second round! Now I shall try to reproduce the financiers at home!


Mmm... don't they just look tasty! If you are a bread lover, or love French pastry, I'm sure you will find something that catches your fancy at this cafe. 



As I am not a local, I found it a bit confusing to find the place. For that, Grab was really a help! And I really must commend the GrabCar driver for putting in the effort to go through the alleyways and residential area to bring me to my destination.

Tommy Le Baker
A-1-3A, Viva Residency, Wilayah Persekutuan,
Jalan Suppiah Pillay, 3rd Mile Jalan Ipoh,
51200 Kuala Lumpur


Comments

Popular Posts